Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What A Girl Needs


We talked to designer Kris Poor, who stitched up this trendy cosmetic bag and jewelry/make-up bag duo using our St. Croix collection for the fall issue of Simple Quilts & Sewing magazine.
The bags feature a mix of the pre-quilted fabric and coordinating prints in traditional cotton, making them quick to sew. 


Q. How did you come up with the idea for these cute bags?

Kris: Like all quilters these days, I am pressed for time! So I thought, how can
I get ahead before the holiday season? I need small gift ideas that can be
completed in one sitting...and these bags are quick to make.

Q. Who did you make this project for?

Kris: My sister-in-law has recently retired and is able to travel, so I think these would be perfect for her! She can tuck them into her weekender bag for short trips or into her suitcase for long trips.

Q. What attracted you to these fabrics?

Kris: I always love timeless paisleys, and the border stripes add versatility and polish to any project. I can definitely picture making a quick tote bag with the pre-quilted fabric and using the border stripes as an accent and for the pockets!

Q. Did the pre-quilted fabric make your project easier?

Kris: I was so excited to use this beautiful pre-quilted fabric! The fact that it is pre-quilted saves so much time and really adds to the durability of the finished piece. I look for products that don't scream "home-made"!

Q. What is your favorite part about these bags?

Kris: I love using the Iron On Vinyl [inside both bags]! It's quick and easy to use and provides a flexible, water resistant finish. Iron On Vinyl can be added to any project that requires some weather protection. The possibilities are endless: Add it to fabric that you are going to use for gift bags- they become picnic bags! Placemats become wipe-able, and aprons become art smocks!
Fun!

Thanks Kris!

Find Simple Quilts & Sewing here.

Purchase a kit to make the cosmetic bag here.
See the entire St. Croix collection here.
Find out more about Kris and her work here.


No comments:

Post a Comment