Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Thoroughly Modern

The classic "What's black and white and red all over" joke may get old, but black, white and red prints never do! 

We're excited to share Thoroughly Modern, a new collection by Virginia Robertson. 
And yes, it's black and white and red! Virginia has a rich history of fabric and quilt design, and we're thrilled to have her designing for us. Take a peek at the Thoroughly Modern fabric line, read what Virginia has to say about it, and be sure to download her free quilt pattern--we know you'll love it! 


Q. Why red, black and white?
VR: I think black, white and red is a basic. It has always been a classic, popular color gropuing, kind of like having your basic blenders.

Q. What inspired the designs for these prints?
VR: The prints came from 20s, 30s and 40s prints that I liked. Except for the little people, which is exactly like a tea dyed cream and black fabric I had, the others are drawings I’ve done inspired by every imaginable old fabric line. The little people are one of my favorites, which is why I used them exactly as they were.



Q. Everyone loves a dot fabric. Tell us about yours.
VR: The dots are not in rows, so you don’t have to worry about cutting on the straight of the grain. I always need dots—they’ll go into my collection in my studio for my work.



Q. What about the focal print?
VR: The big floral was actually a batik design that I simplified and adapted to go with the line. The little teardrop print was as well.  The batik designs were more painterly, more impressionistic. This version is more of a clean, clear, and crisp design.




Q. What ties all of these fabrics together?
VR: The color palette and the drawing style hold them together as a collection.

Q. What made you decide to add the pops of solid color in your Thoroughly Modern Zig Zag free quilt pattern?

VR: The quilt needed some visual relief, and that’s why the solids are mixed in. The solid colors I chose are the exact ones I had in mind when I crated the prints—I think they give the collection (and the quilt) more of a modern look. The prints are so mid-century modern and the solids give it a retro modern feel.

"Thoroughly Modern Zig Zag" by Virginia Robertson
Download the free pattern for this quilt here.

See the entire collection here and ask for it at your local quilt shop.
Download the free quilt pattern here

5 comments: