Welcome back to our Summer of Sewing tutorials here at Inspired by Fabric!
We'll be featuring regular tutorials as part of our Summer of Sewing series, all using our newest fabric lines that you can find at your local quilt shop! Our tutorials will include a chance to win a bundle of the fabric line being used, so make sure to enter each time!
We're getting ready for the 4th of July this week with a folk art-style wall quilt featuring the American Pride collection. This collection features a panel of two blocks, one of which we used here, and then coordinating prints. Panel blocks are perfect for adding a variety of borders, and voila! Great wall quilt. (It measures 28" square.) Scroll down to the bottom of this post to find out how you can win a bundle of American Pride.
Here's a look at the two blocks on the panel. Each measures approximately 14-1/2" square.
Let's get started!
1 fat quarter or 1/4 yard of blue text print
1/2 yard red text print
1/2 yard checkered stars
5/8 yard cream solid
1 yard backing fabric
30" square of batting
Note: Our cutting directions are very specific to ensure that the directional text prints are oriented correctly on all sides of the quilt.
From the panel:
Fussy cut one 14-1/2" square
From the red text print:
Three 2-1/2" x 18" strips with text running the short way (see photo below); cut two 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" pieces from one strip and reserve the remainder for strip sets
Two 2-1/2" x 34" strips with text running the long way (see photo below); cut two 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" pieces from one strip and reserve the remainder for strip sets
From the blue text print:
Eight 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" pieces with text running the long way (see photo below)
Eight 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" pieces with text running the short way (see photo below)
Four 2-1/2" squares
From the checkered stars:
Two 1-1/2" x 14-1/2" strips
Two 1-1/2" x 16-1/2" strips
Two 1-1/2" x 20-1/2" strips
Two 1-1/2" x 22-1/2" strips
Three 2-1/4" x 42" strips for binding
From the cream solid:
Thirty-two 2-1/2" squares
Four 2-1/2" x 42" strips
Four 3-1/2" squares
Make the Wall Quilt:
1. Sew 1-1/2" x 14-1/2" checkered star strips to the sides of the block and press open. Sew 1-1/2" x 16-1/2" checkered star strips to the to and bottom of the block and press open.
3. Noting orientation of the text in the flying geese below, make four of each kind.
4. Referring to the photo, sew four matching flying geese units together into a row. Make two for the side borders. Sew to the sides of the quilt center.
5. Sew four matching flying geese units together into a row for the top border and one for the bottom row. Sew 2-1/2" blue text squares to both ends of each row. Sew to the top and bottom of the quilt center.
6. Sew 1-1/2" x 20-1/2" checkered star strips to the sides of the quilt center. Sew 1-1/2" x 22-1/2" checkered star strips to the top and bottom.
7. Sew each red text strip to a cream solid strip. (Sew two half red text strips to one cream solid strip.) Crosscut ten 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" segments with the text running the short way and ten 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" segments with the text running the long way.
8. Referring to the photo, sew five matching segments together in a row. Sew a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" red text piece to the cream end to make the side border. Make two. In the same way, sew five matching segments together in a row, sew a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" red text piece to the cream end and 3-1/2" cream squares to both ends to make a top/bottom border. Make two.
9. Sew the side borders to the sides of the quilt center. Sew the top and bottom borders (with the cream squares on the ends) to the top and bottom.
10. Layer the backing fabric, batting, and quilt top right side up and baste. Quilt as desired.
11. Use the three 2-1/4" x 42" checkered star strips to add the binding.
Happy 4th of July!
See the entire American Pride collection here.
For a chance to win a fat quarter bundle of the American Pride collection, make sure you follow us on the blog (options are in the right hand sidebar) and leave a comment letting us know you do, as well as telling us your favorite print in the collection. Giveaway is open through Sunday, July 3rd at 11:59 pm CST. We'll randomly draw a winner and announce it on the blog next week. Make sure we have a way to get in touch with you if you are selected as the winner!
Congratulations to the winner of the Melon bundle: Kathy E.
We'll contact you for your mailing information!