Welcome back to our Summer of Sewing tutorials here at Inspired by Fabric!
We'll be featuring regular tutorials as part of our Summer of Sewing series, all using our newest fabric lines that you can find at your local quilt shop! Our tutorials will include a chance to win a bundle of the fabric line being used, so make sure to enter each time!
This week we've created a palette of summery solids from our Painter's Palette Solids collection--we're calling it our Melon palette! It includes: Honeydew (of course!), Pale Aqua, Lipstick, Orchid, and Jade. Cool, refreshing, and modern. And don't forget our neutrals--White and Silver!
|Our Melon palette|
Our tutorial has a modern feel as well--fused orange peel shapes on a white background to create a fun throw pillow. Toss this pillow on the couch for some seasonal color, or even better, use it outside on your porch or deck! For a chance to win a FQ bundle of our Melon palette (plus White and Silver!), see the end of this post.
Let's get started!
1 fat quarter each 121-000 (White), 121-062 (Pale Aqua), 121-066 (Lipstick), 121-072 (Honeydew), 121-024 (Orchid), 121-039 (Jade)
1 yard 121-010 (Silver), includes backing
Paper-backed fusible web
22” square piece of batting
20” square pillow insert
Note: Download the orange peel shape template here.
From the white fat quarter:
One 15” square
From each of the Pale Aqua, Lipstick, Honeydew, Orchid and Jade fat quarters:
Four orange peel shapes (see step 2 below)
From the Silver:
Two 4-1/2” x 42” strips
Two 13” x 20-1/2” pieces for envelope backing (Cut one 20-1/2” backing square instead for a zippered pillow)
Make the Pillow:
1. Fold the 15” white square in half in both directions and press to create center guidelines.
2. Referring to the manufacturer’s directions, trace 20 orange peel shapes onto the paper side of fusible web. Press 4 orange peel shapes to each color and cut out on drawn line.
3. Using the center guidelines, lay out the center four orange peels and fuse in place.
4. Continue adding orange peels as shown, making sure each grouping is approximately the same size. Fuse all orange peels in place.
5. Trim white square to approximately 14”, making sure there’s an equal amount of space past the orange peel edges on all four sides.
6. Cut both 4-1/2” x 42” silver strips in half. Sew halves to opposite sides of the center square. Press and trim excess. Add the remaining halves to the top and bottom of the center square, press and trim excess.
7. Layer the pillow top with batting and baste in place. Quilt as desired. Trim pillow top to measure 20-1/2”.
8. Fold and press one long edge of a 13” x 20-1/2” Silver piece over ¼”. Fold and press another quarter inch and topstitch to create a finished edge. Repeat on second 13” x 20-1/2” Silver piece.
9. Layer pillow top right side up and the two backing pieces right side down, matching raw edges and overlapping the finished edges across the pillow. Pin in place. Stitch around the outer edge of the pillow using a ¼” seam allowance. Turn pillow right side out, press, and stuff with the insert. Note: If you prefer a pillow with a zipper finish, use a 20-1/2” light gray square, your zipper, and your preferred method of finishing.
For a chance to win a fat quarter bundle of the Melon palette (plus White and Silver) that we've created from our Painter's Palette Solids collection, make sure you follow us on the blog (options are in the right hand sidebar) and leave a comment letting us know you do, as well as telling us your favorite solid from our Painter's Palette Solids collection.
Giveaway is open through Sunday, June 26 at 11:59 pm CST. We'll randomly draw a winner and announce it on the blog next week. Make sure we have a way to get in touch with you if you are selected as the winner! This giveaway is now closed!
Congratulations to the winner of the Garden Rendezvous bundle: Joyful Quilter
We'll contact you for your mailing information!