Happy Monday! Today Heidi Pridemore from The Whimsical Workshop is here sharing block #5, the double star. This blocks looks similar to Connie's block on day #1 but is constructed differently; you can use whichever technique you prefer. Amazing how different print choices make similarly designed blocks with such variety!
This sampler series of nine star blocks began last week and will run all of this week as well. The star blocks are made using Ro Gregg's Marblehead Venetian Glass fabrics. If you missed blocks #1-4, you'll find links for them at the bottom of this post. Plus, don't miss the chance to enter a giveaway to win a bundle of these gorgeous prints!
Heidi: Hi everyone! Here's my block for the Star Sampler. I chose to use the cream/gold scroll print as the background and made star points using flying geese units. Here's the tutorial:
Fabrics and Cutting:
Fabric A- Background (cream/gold scroll)
• Cut (12) 2 ½” x 4 ½” rectangles
• Cut (8) 2 ½” squares
Fabric B- Inner Star Points (peach/aqua)
• Cut (8) 2 ½” squares
Fabric C- Outer Star Points (teal/blue)
• Cut (16) 2 ½” squares
Fabric D- Star Center (multicolor print)
• Cut (1) 4 ½” square
1. Place one 2 ½” Fabric B square on the left side of one 2 ½” x 4 ½” Fabric A rectangle, right sides together (Fig. 1). Sew across the diagonal of the square from the upper right corner to the lower left corner (Fig. 1). Flip open the triangle formed and press (Fig. 2). Trim away the excess fabric from behind the triangle leaving a 1/4“ seam allowance.
2. Place another 2 ½” Fabric B square on the right side of the 2 ½” x 4 ½” Fabric A rectangle, right sides together (Fig. 3). Sew across the diagonal of the square from the upper left corner to the lower right corner (Fig. 3). Flip open the triangle formed and press (Fig. 4). Trim away the excess fabric from behind the triangle leaving a 1/4“ seam allowance.
3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to make four inner star points.
4. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 with eight 2 ½” x 4 ½” Fabric A rectangles and sixteen 2 ½” Fabric C squares to make eight outer star points (Fig. 5).
5. Follow Figure 6 to sew together one 4 ½” Fabric D square, four inner star points and four 2 ½” Fabric A square to make the block center.
6. Follow Figure 7 to sew together the block center, eight outer star points and four 2 ½” Fabric A squares to complete the 12 ½” block.
6. And you're done!
For a chance to win one of 3 fat quarter bundles of Marblehead Venetian Glass, sign up to follow Inspired by Fabric (using the "follow" button or the "follow by email" button in the right hand side bar) and leave an email letting us know you did, as well as telling us--do you typically make quilts using fabric only from one collection, or more scrappy? You can leave a comment to enter once for each post during the Star Sampler hop (9 entries total). The giveaway will be open through Monday, March 17th at 11:59 EST, and we'll randomly pick 3 winners on Wednesday of that week.