Friday, November 9, 2012

Time for Some Kitchen Fun!


Has your sweet tooth subsided since Halloween has passed? Because we've got some temptations for it today--ice cream and sprinkles and cake! Today we're introducing you to Judy Hansen's latest collection, Cook's Helper, perfect for getting little ones excited to help in the kitchen!

''This line is part of my heart,'' Judy says. I was an elementary school teacher and when my daughters were little, I taught preschool. We cooked once a week."
Judy standing in front of the Cook's Helper area of the booth at Market, holding a delicious fabric cake!

Q. How did this line come to be?
Judy: It's all about the apron. Fabri-Quilt asked me if I wanted to do a Christmas apron, and I thought they'd said a children's apron. From there, it went to the recipe cards.
A 2-for-1 deal: fabric and recipes!
The child's apron panel, with size-adjustable neck and
waist ties, and add-on ice cream cone pockets!
Looks so cute on!


Q. Tell us about the recipe cards.
Judy: The recipe cards are from when I taught. I looked back through my notes from teaching preschool and wrote up easy no-heat required recipes we'd used: rootbear floats, purple cow, peanut butter sandwich, cheese and crackers…
I wrote the recipes on 3x5 rectangles in a childish scrawl. You can turn the recipe card fabric into actual recipe cards—fuse them to another piece of fabric, cut them out, and satin stitch the edges. They're great for playing in the kitchen, and they're even washable!

Q. Did you do the crayon drawing for the fabrics?
Judy: Yes. We made a font for my writing. The designs—all of them are my coloring. Very much my designs, scribbles, tweaks, etc.

Look at the fabric cupcakes and cones, plus the sweet little recipe box and cards! 

Here's a free pattern, called "It's A Party" by Judy Hansen, available on our website.


Judy is sharing a few of her favorite no-heat recipes, straight from the fabric collection's recipe cards. We hope you'll enjoy trying some of this easy "cooking" with kids in your life (or just for yourself!).

DIP & VEGGIES 

Dry onion soup mix - couple spoonfuls
Sour Cream - 1/2 cup
Mix up soup & cream
Your favorite cut up veggies
carrots, celery, cucumber, zucchini
Put on plate with dip
Eat! Yummy!


ROOT BEER FLOAT
Vanilla Ice Cream
Root Beer - chilled
To Make: Put Ice cream in plastic cup
Pour Root Beer slowly over top
Stir it up & add a straw!


ANTS ON A LOG
Eat & Drink! Yummy!
Short  Celery Sticks
Peanut Butter & Raisins
To Make:   Wash and dry Celery
Spread Peanut Butter on Celery
Sprinkle "Ants" Raisins on top
Eat! Yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment