Welcome back to our Summer of Sewing tutorials here at Inspired by Fabric!
We'll be featuring regular tutorials as part of our Summer of Sewing series, all using our newest fabric lines that you can find at your local quilt shop! Our tutorials will include a chance to win a bundle of the fabric line being used, so make sure to enter each time!
This week's tutorial features Ro Gregg's new Sophisticates line and we couldn't wait to turn it into a project! Black, white and red prints make a stunning log cabin design in this quilt-as-you-go tote bag.
A wreath of black, white and red prints
Let's get started!
12 fat quarters or 1/4 yard cuts of black, white and red prints
1/2 yard white print for lining
1/4 yard each of a black print and white/black stripe for handles
Fat quarter large black floral for tote back
25" x 40" piece of batting
From the fat quarters:
A variety of 2-1/2"-wide strips
From the white print:
(2) 14-1/2" x 17-1/2" pieces
From the black print:
(1) 3" x 42" strip
(1) 3-3/4" x 14-1/2" strip
From the white/black stripe:
(1) 1-3/4" x 42" strip
From the large black floral:
(1) 16" x 19" piece
From the batting:
(1) 20" square
(1) 16" x 19" piece
(1) 1-3/4" x 40" strip
Notes about Quilt-As-You-Go:
- Finger press each added piece open before stitching on it.
- Quilt each piece by stitching several lines parallel to the seam line. Our lines are approximately 1/2" apart.
- Use a longer stitch length for the quilting.
- If an added piece is slightly longer than the patchwork already there, no problem! It will be covered by a later piece.
- When using 2-1/2" wide strips, simply add 2" to the length of every other strip. No other math needed!
Make the Bag:
1. From each of (2) 2-1/2" strips, cut (1) 2-1/2" square. Find the center of the 20" batting square. Lay the squares right sides together in the center and stitch down one side.
2. Fold open, finger press, and then stitch 3-4 vertical lines down the squares.
3. Cut a 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" strip, pin to the top edge of the two squares, and stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance.
4. Press open and quilt lines to secure.
5. Add a fourth piece (measuring 2-1/2" x 4-1/2") in the same manner, working around the center square.
6. Continue adding strips. You'll add a second 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" strip and then a 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" strip. You'll add two strips of each length, and then add 2" to achieve the next strip length.
7. Add strips until the block measures 14-1/2" square.
8. The last strip you add should be the 3-3/4" x 14-1/2" black strip. This will be the bottom of the bag. Trim the bag front to measure 14-1/2" x 17-1/2".
9. Baste a 16" x 19" large black floral piece to a 16" x 19" batting piece. Quilt as desired. Trim to 14-1/2" x 17-1/2" for the tote bag back.
10. Layer the bag front and back right sides together. Stitch around the side and bottom using a 1/4" seam allowance.
11. Cut 1-1/2" squares out of the bottom two corners.
13. Fold the bag so the side and bottom seams line up and pin the edge. Stitch using a 1/4" seam allowance. Repeat on the opposite corner to box the bag bottom. Turn right side out.
14. Lay the (2) 14-1/2" x 17-1/2" white print pieces right sides together and stitch around the sides and bottom, leaving an opening for turning.
15. Box the corners in the same way as for the outer bag.
16. Sew the 3" x 42" black strip and 1-3/4" x 42" white/black stripe strip together lengthwise.
17. Fold and press the stripe strip over the black strip, wrong sides together. Fold in the long edge of the black strip so it touches the stripe strip, approximately 1/4", and press.
18. Tuck the batting strip inside so it is nestled between the seam line and the folded black edge.
19. Fold the striped strip over the batting, and then fold the folded black edge again so it covers the striped raw edge. Pin in place and topstitch down the black edge. Topstitch down the other black edge as well to finish the handle strip.
20. Cut the handle into (2) 20" lengths. Pin one handle to the front of the bag, measuring in 2" from each side. Stitch to secure and repeat on the back side of the bag.
21. Tuck the outer bag inside the lining, right sides together, and pin the raw edges along the top together.
22. Stitch around the top edge of the bag. Turn the bag right side out through the opening. Stitch the opening closed and tuck the lining inside the bag.
23. Topstitch 1/4" from the top edge of the bag.
Your bag is done! Enjoy!
For a chance to win a FQ bundle of Sophsticates, make sure you follow our blog! Leave a comment below letting us know that you do, as well as telling us which print you like best in this collection. The giveaway is open through Sunday, August 14th at 11:59 pm EST. We'll draw a winner and share it next week.
Congratulations to the winner from last week's Vintage 30s bundle: Margaret
We'll be emailing you!