Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It's Tulip Time again!

Happy (almost) spring! 
Inspired by the appearance of tulips leaves and buds, we decided to refresh our Tulip Time wall hanging featured here last year. We chose four fun tulip colors (Lipstick, Bright Yellow, Sangria, and Tangerine) from our Painter's Palette Solids collection and paired them with Apple Green leaves and stems, and Waterfall for a background. Pretty and oh so springy!

Speaking of pretty, we couldn't resist taking this quick pick (it's also on Instagram!) of the trimmings created while piecing this top. Yum! 

To change up this design a little from the original, we want to use a different color for the outer border rather than just repeating the background color. We photographed four choices below. What do you think? Like something completely different? Browse our solids and let us know in the comments below.

See last year's version (using the geometric prints of Graphix 3) and find the tutorial so you can make your own Tulip Time version here.
Check out all 84 Painter's Palette Solids colors here.

14 comments:

  1. I would go with either Bordeaux, to be daring, or white to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I would go with #73 and then add #76 for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute. perfect for spring and summer. what size does it finish at? quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would use #19 for the border and #76 for the binding. This is cute, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would make a tiny inside border or flange of white or yellow, then border with the Apple Green with Sangria binding. Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH I really love this using these fabrics too.I think I'd use the Lapis blue.

    I loved this wall hanging when I saw it last year and, in fact went out just a few days after seeing it and bought all the fabrics to make it. I had planned it as a gift for my MIL for Mother's Day last year, but sadly, it never did get done. I was just thinking about trying to possibly work on that for this Mother's Day for her. Of course, now you have me second guessing the fabrics I bought and using solids instead. LOL Nah. Must talk myself out of that after spending far too much time choosing the ones I already bought. Of course, I could make a 2nd one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful.19 for the border and 73 for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lapis...love this patterns....and all solids....

    ReplyDelete
  9. i made this pattern last year with the white background. It was a fun and cheerful project to end the winter doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern! But I have a question, how do you make the hanging part for it? I've never made a wall hanging before so I don't know how to make one. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this pattern! But I have a question, how do you make the hanging part for it? I've never made a wall hanging before so I don't know how to make one. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, You cna stitch a 2" or so wide tube slightly shorter than the quilt width. Pin it to the back of the wall hanging and catch the top edge in the binding stitching. Then whipstitch the bottom of the tube to the quilt back to hold the tube down. hope that helps--if you need more details, google it--there are plenty of more detailed tutorials out there.

      Delete